Monday, October 22, 2007

I Get Letters...Unfortunately

In the days leading up to the Throne Speech, just about every political party was sabre-rattling about a possible federal election being just weeks away.

One reason for this posturing is money.

By creating a crisis situation -- "Oh my God, an election is almost here!!!"--- they can squeeze financial supporters for cash.

In fact, I just received such a letter from the Conservative Party. Ringing the election alarm bells, it implored me for a "special" contribution of $35, $55 or possibly $70.

What really struck me about this letter, however, was how poorly it was written.

Typical sentence: "The Liberals have an all or nothing plan. 'All' equals them getting back in government. If not back in government, the Liberals could care less what impact comes from their anger, personal attacks and obstructionism."

I think I know what this is supposed to mean, but it's just so painfully awkward.

And parts of the letter just don't make sense.

Take this line: "Stephane Dion may use threats and attacks in a shameless attempt to gain national support. Let's make sure his belligerent tactics in Parliament will be remembered in the next election."

Why would you want to "make sure" voters remember Dion's attacks in an election?

And naturally this letter does not contain one iota of conservative principle. No mention is made, for instance, about the need to make government smaller or to promote free enterprise.

Well at least they got my name spelled right.

9 comments:

rondi adamson said...

And it should be, "couldn't care less", not "could care less". That is one of the most common and STUPID mistakes.

Iain G. Foulds said...

...Thanks Rondi, I'll remember that next time... usually I can get $50 from Gerry.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I have also started receiving equally senseless/stupid letters from the LPC...

No mention of why I should give money to the LPC... just the dire consequences of what may transpire if I don't...

Damn that Stephane Dion and his "belligerent tactics" and "threats and attacks" anyways.

Who knew that carrots could be so dangerous?

Only in Canada would election platforms/strategies be based on which leader can be portrayed as the lamer duck... pity!

Anonymous said...

Gerry:

If you beat up Flanagan too badly in the debate tomorrow night, the CPC is gonna accuse you of "belligerent tactics" and "threats and attacks..."

Plus, they might just have to tell their moms on you...

It might be safer to slip a fifty to Iain G. Foulds...

Anonymous said...

I too received one of these. It's filed under "g". The reason is as anon. suggests, it's mostly a begging letter. Not at all the work of a confident government eager to boast about their accomplishments.

Anonymous said...

I just put all of those letters in the shredder.

NB taxpayer said...

It's neat when you watch a grade three art class student paint over Stephen Harper's crinkled face when finishing off their paper mashe creations.

I believe in recycling.

Sapere Aude said...

...people are surprised that direct mail is hysterical and semi-idiotic? That's the only way that it can really raise money. You're not exactly the target demographic for CPC direct mail.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, I kind of have to agree with Sapere Aude.