Here's my latest column in Report Magazine.
I provide some ideas as to how politicians can help end voter cynicism.
Ideas such as:
* Keep election promises. (Yes I know this is a radical notion, but desperate times call for desperate measures.)
* Resist the urge to accept cash-stuffed envelopes from sleazy businessmen or party bagmen.
* Stop switching party allegiances the way other people switch TV channels.
* Stop attending “fact-finding missions” especially when those missions take place in January and are held in Hawaii.
* Stop voting yourself pay raises, while continuing to complain about how much more money you would make in the private sector.
* During Question Period try to raise the caliber of debate to a level slightly higher than that used by squabbling and cranky five year old children fighting over a toy.
* Try standing up for a principle, rather than simply telling people what you think they want to hear.
* Stop thinking that just because you are a politician you are somehow “entitled to your entitlements.”
Thanks to Joel Johannesen for posting this on his excellent site.