Friday, February 23, 2007

STV Explained

On a couple of occasions on this blog, I have suggested the voting method known as "Single Transferable Vote" or STV, was too complicated a procedure.

Well in an effort to help me out, Jonathan Dean of the Atlantica Party was kind enough to send me a link to this site which uses cartoons and charts to explain how it works.

And it does help to explain it.

Still I am still wondering if a voting system that needs cartoons and charts to explain how it works is really a good system.

And by the way, to figure out the winners under this system it probably helps to have a degree in calculus.

1 comment:

Monkey Loves to Fight said...

I think STV is also a bad idea. Voters should understand how their vote will be counted and know fully well that however they intend to vote is how it is counted. I think in BC, STV only got 57% because many people are dissatisfied with the current system.