Friday, August 10, 2007

Politics, War and the NDP

As noted on my previous posting, I was a guest on the Michael Coren Show last night.

One of the other guests was Thomas King, noted author and a federal NDP star candidate in Guelph.

Anyway, at one point during the show the topic of Afghanistan came up and King, who opposes our mission there, referred to Canadian soldiers as "mercenaries".

I took exception to that and a bit of a debate erupted.

After the show aired, I received this email:

"Just a quick thank you for letting loose on Tom King. As a Canadian soldier I resent pretty well everything he said about me and my brethren and the mission. I was actually surprised you maintained composure, I wouldn't of. "

I suspect that's one guy who will never vote NDP.

And that's the problem with the Left, it's not that they are anti-war, it's that they are anti-military.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that is why they are at about 16% in the polls. They are trying to reach their far-left base.

Anonymous said...

The NDP as a social experiment are a complete flop. Their mantra should be "we don't stand for anything so we fall for every fad,opinion or flavor of the month."
Thanks for sticking up for what matters to most Canadians and what makes us proud

Anonymous said...

Did you quote Milton Friedman? If not, you should have:

General William Westmoreland, testifying before President Nixon's Commission on an All-Volunteer [Military] Force, denounced the idea, saying that he did not want to command an army of mercenaries. Milton Friedman interrupted him: "General, would you rather command an army of slaves?" Westmoreland got angry: "I don't like to hear our patriotic draftees referred to as slaves." And Friedman got rolling: "I don't like to hear our patriotic volunteers referred to as mercenaries. If they are mercenaries, then I, sir, am a mercenary professor, and you, sir, are a mercenary general." And he did not stop: "We are served by mercenary physicians, we use a mercenary lawyer, and we get our meat from a mercenary butcher"