Saturday, August 29, 2009

Taking taxpayers for a ride

While getting on the bus the other day I was handed a pamphlet detailing "New Transit Service Changes."

Always intrigued by the workings of mass public transit I eagerly started reading.

It began promisingly enough: "Oakville Transit is offering more convenience, more choice and more connections than ever before. This is the first step in a multi-year plan to offer Oakville residents and visitors the type of transit system they have been asking for."

But then a few sentences later the pamphlet drops this bomb: "Route 11 (which is the bus I take) will move to a 60 minute service instead of a 30 minute service."

What!

Since when is doubling the wait time for a bus more convenient? And I don't remember "asking for" 60 minute service!

Oh and did I mention, the town recently raised taxes.

So I am paying more money for less service. And the public transit people think this is an improvement.

Typical government logic.

Mind you, it's not a total loss. Maybe now I will take the car more often which will add to global warming, which will aggravate David Suzuki.

Always look on the bright side, I say.

No comments: